St. George's

Our Story

St. George’s is a young and vibrant community rooted in saving Gospel of Jesus Christ expressed through the theology and worship of the Anglican Church. The architecture of our historic Tudor-Norman style church is an apt reflection of who we hope to be: inspiring, diverse, welcoming, and spirit-filled. Please join us this Sunday and be a part of the Jesus Movement in Uptown New Orleans!

St. George's Has Been Serving the New Orleans Community since 1859
HISTORY IN DATES

Our Timeline

1859

Emmanuel Mission

In 1859, the Louisiana Diocese established the Emmanuel mission on the corner of Berlin (now General Pershing) and Magazine streets which met in the Town Hall of what was then called Jefferson City. The congregation was incorporated as a parish, and Louisiana’s first Episcopal Bishop, Leonidas Polk, confirmed members before becoming a General in the Confederate Army.

1871

Divided & Reunited

In 1871, the congregation divided with the formation of St. Mark’s church which met at St. Charles and Valence. The two congregations consolidated again in 1874 at this location that served the parish until the present St. George’s was built in 1899. Part of the wood from the old church was used to construct the rectory, which is still in use today.
1969

St. George's School

As an expression of its mission to reach out into the community, church leaders founded St. George’s Episcopal School in 1969. The school’s first classes met in the church undercroft. Today, the children of St. George’s School meet in their own school buildings on the School’s Camp street campus. One of the school buildings is on the site of the original Emmanuel meeting site.

1973

LGBTQ+ Community

In 1973, The Rev'd William P. Richardson held a small prayer service for the 32 victims of arson at the UpStairs Lounge, a gay bar in the French Quarter. Afterwards, he was admonished by the Right Rev'd Iverson B. Noland, the Episcopal Bishop of Louisiana, and by some members of his Vestry.

He continued to advocate for the LGBT community in the New Orleans community and the Episcopal Diocese of Louisiana, calling on the church to welcome lesbians and gay men. His activism earned him a place of civic recognition in the community.

10/31/2018

The shields – Delgado

Enrique Alférez is considered one of New Orleans’ artistic treasures. His sculptures adorn the city from downtown to the lakefront.

Joining the Mexican Revolution as a teenager, he rode with Gen. Pancho Villa, whose raid on a small border town caused the U.S. Army to launch a nine-month expedition into Mexico in an unsuccessful attempt to capture Villa. In his 20s, he migrated to El Paso, Texas. He studied at the Art Institute in Chicago with Lorado Taft.

linkedin facebook pinterest youtube rss twitter instagram facebook-blank rss-blank linkedin-blank pinterest youtube twitter instagram